"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream.
Discover."
~Mark Twain

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Dreaded Tub

A tub has been clogging up my little Honda's trunk for quite some time now. I'm sure it's been there for over a year, probably over two years. During these past years, I have wiggled and wedged all kinds of things around the tub, for I have dreaded to pull it out and clean out the contents. It's one of those objects that I knew would take time and effort to go through and clean, so I left it alone.

Well, tomorrow I am taking my car in get an inspection, as it must be declared to be in tip-top shape for the trek across the states. I decided it was time I really needed to clean out the tub. Within the next nine days, the trunk needs to be cleared in order to fit what we need for the move. A dog crate and chinchilla cage are just two large pieces of the puzzle that need to fit in my trunk. So, I pulled out the tub.

I found old papers from my sophomore year of college. I found loads of pictures from freshmen year, and they all brought back so many memories. I found magnets, one an "E" and one a "M" that Monica and I had bought to decorate our dorm room. I found old notes from Jenn. I found a picture Hannah had colored for me. All of it took me on a trip down memory lane, and if anything, it made me a little sad as I remembered distinct memories I've shared with my friends and family members.

These past few days have been madness. Moving out was harder than I imagined, and we only moved from an apartment we had lived in for nine months! I can't fathom moving out of a house we had lived in for years. I have a new appreciation for all those going through the moving process.

Greg and I were very happy to complete step one of the madness. We officially moved out of our apartment, and now we have nine days left. Those nine days are booked to the brim, and they will go by quickly. I have two weeks and one day before my classes start, which means in two weeks and one day, I will already be in Pittsburgh. That seems crazy! With all the stress going on, I haven't had much time to grow sad over leaving. I'm so excited about starting this new adventure, but I will be very sad to say goodbye to family and friends. Looking at old pictures and notes reminded me of all my friends, and I miss them deeply.

All in all, I am very glad I went through the dreaded tub :)

No comments:

Post a Comment